Monday 9 August 2010

Looking back at the C2C - 10 years on



Well that was all 10 years ago. It's interesting to see the huge number of on-line accounts that have sprung up since, this really is a walk, an adventure that seems to resonate with people. At the time the C2C seemed to be described as a moderate walk, yet has since seemed to be viewed as more of a tough and exacting trek. Perhaps it's the fashion. Make no mistake, it is a tough walk, you will ache and bits will hurt that have never hurt before. The trick is simply not minding this.

It's funny how the bad bits fade or disappear from memory. I had assumed we'd seen just a day of rain Looking at my photos and brief notes reminded me that this wasn't the case and most days had been something of everything yet strong winds, the walker's real tormentor, were mercifully brief and every day was walkable.

We were quite fit before the start, Pete was a runner and I had trained for a Three Peaks Challenge attempt that we'd completed the weekend before the C2C but I did tire towards the end.

I'll definately have to do it again some time, there's more to see, although it looks as if I'll be doing it on my own as, to date (Aug 2010), I've yet to find a willing companion. Not that I'll be lonely, it's the people you meet who stand out in the mind just as much, if not more, than the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment